11.28.2010

Happy Birthday!

Wait, it's November. Yeah, that's right. I got a birthday present today. Well, birthday and Christmas combined. We had a good day today. When Kevin came home, we went out to Panera and brought breakfast, complete with peppermint mocha, for Mom. We sat and chatted and had a good time. Then Kevin and I left for Sam's Club. We ended up setting up our own account. We bought Mr. Booth's Christmas present, a present for my cousin, a gift for my friend, THE most awesome pillows ever, and a TV for the bedroom. Kevin wanted a flat screen to mount to the wall so there'll be more space in the bedroom. Which is fine. We spent a pretty penny there but actually ended up saving quite a lot.

Then he took me for my gift. He wouldn't tell me where we're going. He just drove. And finally we arrived at Guitar Center. Which totally threw me for a loop. I don't play an instrument. I haven't in more than twenty years. Kevin just smiled and we walked in as he told me that his wish for me is to have a piano to learn to play. See, that was one of my goals/wishes when I graduated. I was going to take time to learn piano. I just never found the time. I was so terrified. And I'm not even sure why. I just went in the store holding his hand and stared at the walls of digital pianos. I knew nothing about them. Some were short. Some were long. Some were huge and some were smaller. I didn't know why. In fact, I still don't know why. But I did learn that a regular piano has 88 keys. So that's what we looked at. Digital pianos with 88 keys. And weighted keys so when I transition to a real piano, God willing, I'll be able to adapt better.
Greg, the nice guy at Guitar Center, walked us around the digital pianos (are they different from keyboards? I don't even know). He explained a lot. Which just kind of whizzed past me and I got glimpses of what he was talking about. I was still in shock I think.

Eventually we picked one. Well, I picked one. And it was on sale. Of course. We got a stool and a stand. Greg offered the smaller, cheaper stool. I had to go with the bigger one. Have you seen the size of my rear? Small stool isn't going to work well for me. He laughed.

We went home, with my head still swimming with all this excitement. I wanted the piano but at the same time was afraid of it. Silly, I know. I just don't want to waste his money. What if I just really suck? What if I quit? What if it turns out I don't even like it? UGH! Too many What ifs.

I've already started downloading some learning programs on Garageband on the Mac. We'll see how this goes.

No comments: