4.12.2007

The Mid-day Nightmare

My heart was pounding against my chest as if it were a wild animal trying to break free from a cage. Chaotic thoughts were racing in my mind. The stillness drove me mad. I scanned the barren desert in search of a phone, a car, something, anything, frantically trying to figure out what to do next. Where has everyone gone? Why is there so much blood? In the doorway of a little shop a silhouette appeared. I knew immediately it was her. I ran to her arms wide, tears flowing down my reddened cheeks. Through sobs I tried to explain what had happened. She stepped forward into the light and her smile fadded as she saw my distress. Together we tried to figure out things. I spun around feeling the heat of the sun directly over me.
There was a noise behind us. We each spun around to find nothing. Silence. My bag with all my money and other important documents had been right next the shop but now it was gone. I scanned the area again. I must have missed something, some clue. There were no tracks. No footprints. Just blood stained sand. And silence. Horrible, terrifying silence -

Broken by shrill screaming. She was no longer standing next to me. Someone or something thing had her and was taking her from me. There was nothing I could do. I ran after her watching the torment and fear in her eyes. Desperately she fought, clawing, kicking, anything to get free. My hand was outstretched reaching for her as she reached out for me.
My chest felt like it was going to explode but cave in all at the same time.

My own scream awoke me. I sat up in my bed out of breath, heart racing, tears in my eyes. Realizing it wasn't real, I turned to my left. She was trying to wake up and asked me what was wrong. She's safe. She's alive. I gave her a hug and held on to her as if never to let her go.

1 comment:

Eryka said...

Ahhhh! You scared me!