1.17.2007

Stupid Germs! Rotten Timing!

I'm sick. Again. It never seems to fail. I thought I had escaped being ill during clinicals. Alas, I was horribly wrong. For the first time in my life I found myself praying for strep throat. Of course, just my luck, it's just a virus. Time in combination with plenty of fluids and a few pills and syrup to treat the symptoms will make it all better.

Basic functions are proving to be near impossible. My nose is constantly stuffy. Swallowing a sip of water feels like shards of glass going down my throat. At night and early morning my fever tends to spike somewhere around 102 degrees Fahrenheit. If you'd like your martini shaken, hand it to me for my chills will do a fine job of mixing your drink.

I'm convinced I'm going to die early in my life. Every year I find myself constantly sick. How will I ever be a nurse if I can't stay well enough to take proper care of my patients? I know what the doctor will tell me. He'll say my tonsils need to be removed and the sore throats will go away. That's great. Fine and dandy. Then the infections will simply take up residency in my chest and I'll simply die of pneumonia. I suppose there are worse ways to go.

Yes, I'm slightly cranky. Again. My apologies to any poor soul reading this.

On the brighter side, I went out with some friends to a club on Saturday for a birthday celebration. One friend left early and the other, the birthday girl, and I danced the night away. Well, perhaps we did more drinking than dancing. It was a wonderful evening. However, I've learned not to go out drinking and dancing with siblings. It just doesn't seem to turn out well. I suppose had my alcohol intake been slightly less the evening would have ended better. No sense in dwelling on the past. Anyway, the whole point of this rambling is that I took a risk and gave a man my number. I didn't actually think he'd call me. He did give me his card. It put it in a place where it would be rather difficult to lose. He told me he'd call me on Monday. When Monday came and went without hearing from him I assumed it was over. Nothing would come of it. Not that I had been holding my breath. Tuesday afternoon as I was watching a movie with one of the girls, my phone range. I don't usually answer calls from numbers I don't recognize but it was a familiar area code so I took a chance. It was him. My heart stopped and jumped into my throat. I could barely speak. I felt like a high school girl. How absurd, no? I politely asked him to hold while my friend and I scrambled to pause the movie and giggle. Lord, I hope he didn't hear the giggling! We talked briefly. He knew I didn't think he was going to call. He asked me why. I didn't have a reason. I just didn't think he would. I was so thrilled he had! After a bit of small talk and clearing up a few minor details (I seem to give out false information unintentionally while intoxicated) he asked me when he could see me. That's right! He asked me on a date! I didn't have my blasted schedule near me so I couldn't set a date but it will be decided in the near future, as in tomorrow or Friday. Provided I'm well enough for a phone conversation. Damn virus!

Off to prepare for an exam and take my next dose of medications.

3 comments:

graceling said...

Yea!

I like dates.

And I like that you are going to go on a date (provided you don't die a thousand slow, painful deaths first.)

And I really like that this date is not with (fill in name here- you know who.)

:)

Also, I am sorry you are sick. I feel much better, but my nose is red and chapped and painful. :(

Eryka said...

I was sick two weeks ago.

Mandalina said...

Yes, a date.... But it didn't happen. Rescheduled. We'll see. The point is, I'm dating. It's really not so easy. I have no idea what I'm doing.

I do feel better. A little congested but good. Let's hope for good health all around.